It is more than just throwing away old equipment
IT Asset Disposal is no longer about disposing or selling of redundant equipment to the highest bidder. Even handing equipment over to staff or CSI initiatives need to be managed carefully.
Redundant IT equipment carries a value. TechStudio, with over 14-years of experience in the ICT sector enable value to be recovered from used technology. Value Recovery is an important component of IT Asset Disposal, but not the only consideration. Due to risk in disposing of IT assets, legislation has been introduced. By selling your IT Assets back to TechStudio, you are assured that the correct framework is in place for the disposal of as well as recovering the value of your equipment.
TechStudio facilitates the collection and compliant disposal of e-Waste (Electronic waste) for companies needing to dispose of redundant electronic equipment.
Some disposal projects involve thousands of units collected from hundreds of sites nationally. To ensure the safe removal of these assets, this process has to be carefully planned and managed. Companies often require this to be done simultaneously with a refresh of new IT equipment, and require minimal business disruption.
Most electronic devices have storage devices. Notebooks, desktops and even copiers contain hard drives or flash memory. When these devices are disposed of, third parties can access sensitive company information. Information can even be retrieved from a formatted hard drive using off the shelf software. At TechStudio data is erased using hardware & software that meets the requirements of the US Department of Defence international standards (US DoD 5220.22-M).
IT Asset Disposal should be compliant with the following relevant legislation:
- POPI: (Protection of Personal Information Act) requires the complete erasure of personal data from storage devices
- NEWMA: (National Environmental Management: Waste Act, 2008) requires the proper disposal of hazardous materials
- Financial and Taxation legislations require the proper recording of asset disposal
- Products less than 3-years of age
- Products still under warranty
- Mid to High-spec Laptops
- 2-in-1 devices
- Mid to High-spec Desktops
- Monitors (> 23″)
- Enterprise networking equipment
- Products between 3-5 years of age
- Products with extended warranties
- Entry-level Notebooks
- Entry-level Desktops
- Monitors (19″-22″)
- Unmanaged network equipment
Little / No Value
- Products older than 5-years of age
- Components (RAM, HDD, CPU, etc.)
- Peripherals (Keyboards, Mice, etc.)
- CRT Monitors
- Computer Cabling